In my Writing for Business class this semester we are working on an applied learning project. For this project, we have assigned groups in which we use what we have learned during the semester to analyze the online presence of a local business, Nest Realty. Together we will create a report on our findings and suggestions for improvement. Upon finishing this project, I will transform my blog into an online portfolio where I will showcase my work in this class and the knowledge I gained.
Our professor has outlined several course outcomes for this class, but the one that I think will be most relevant to my professional and academic interests, as well as the project, is to learn strategies for collaborating with colleagues online and in culturally diverse environments. Since this project is group and online-based, I think it will help me to better navigate similar situations when I encounter them in my professional life.
Moving forward in this project, I expect to learn more about strategies to use (and not use) when writing to your audience on social media. A couple of the concepts we have learned so far include the best ways to use social media to build goodwill in businesses, and how to apply persuasive strategies into your social media communication. I think these concepts as well as tools like visual rhetoric and what we have read about preparing reports in our Business Communication textbook will also be useful in analyzing Nest Realty’s social media presence.
Collaborating in an online context can be difficult because it is not very personal and can cause team members to feel more isolated than in face-to-face context. Also, planning a time to get online and collaborate can be difficult since each team member is in a different place. This may mean having to schedule around different time zones, work schedules, etc. To overcome these kinds of obstacles in this particular project, I think it is a good idea for my group to schedule meetings and due dates well in advance. This way everyone on the team has time to plan for these events and won’t feel pressured last minute. Maintaining a constant form of contact will also help the team to stay connected and on the same page.
Because I have spent a great deal of time researching and learning about visual rhetoric and the best ways to apply persuasive strategies to social media, I think I will be well equipped to analyze Nest social media posts. I personally have an interest in real estate and can use the knowledge I have gained so far to help my team provide better recommendations. When it comes to providing an analysis I excel in the research part, but sometimes need help diving in deeper with the actual analysis. When it comes to this, I may need my group to help push me and provide helpful ideas for a successful analysis.
So far, I have a great group lined up and I am looking forward to what we accomplish together on this project!

No comments:
Post a Comment