Recently, I have been looking into
the results of the “Tips From A Former Smoker” ads. My theory is, if the visual rhetoric used in
the ads is effective and resonates with the audience, then the results should
be a large number of people that have quit smoking. To finish up my research I need to analyze
the smoking facts that the campaign presents to its audience, the visual
rhetoric in the images, and the connection (if any) they form with the
audience. In this blog I’ll focus on
mostly on the results of the campaign.
According to their website, the
Center for Disease Control’s campaign has influenced 1.6 million smokers to
attempt quitting in its first year (Campaign). I would say that’s pretty amazing results even
if all of those people didn’t successfully quit long-term. They also say that over 100,000 smokers
successfully quit after 2012 (Campaign).
Keep in mind that these results are from the first year alone, so
imagine how large that number is after three years! They clearly persuaded a lot of people to
consider quitting, so I would say that the visual rhetoric and connection they
formed with their audience was successful.
I’ve recently found that there was a
study done on the results of the Tips campaign that was published in the Lancet
Medical Journal. This is what the CDC
references on their website when talking about the people that the campaign has
influenced to quit smoking. I think it’s
pretty cool a medical journal has researched the results of these ads. I hope to find the journal soon to see what
other statistics they found that I could add to my research!
"Campaign Overview." Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention, 1 Sept. 2015. Web. 29 Sept. 2015.

No comments:
Post a Comment